View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #50
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Allies and Ally Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
...then I need someone to justify existence of Contacts and it still needs a major overhaul.
Sometimes a character just knows a guy. It's certainly a legitimate kind of relationship in adventure fiction.
Quote:
We can apply this same kind of logic to Patrons and Allies; even when they are designed as fully realized characters, your interaction with them can be extremely limited.
If an Ally is going to fight in combat, you probably do want a lot of that information, and of course you need at least the point value based on the way Ally is constructed.
Quote:
Conversely, treating Contacts as no more than an externalized skill is begging for someone to "see the strings" because either you've got to be a master GM. Why? You're just begging for something to happen where you've either got to carefully keep your game from getting to a point where players have a chance to really interact with the Contact or design said Contact on the fly when the former eventually fails.
It's trivial to make up additional details as needed about an NPC. Much easier than making a full character sheet for them. It's even possible to make a sheet for them later, and "upgrade" the Contact to Ally (Butters in The Dresden Files). Ally requires the GM a character sheet for the character before the campaign even begins, which is, for me anyway, when the workload is the greatest already.
Quote:
In fiction, while Contacts are usually away from the action, not all are.
In GURPS they are. Use Ally if your "contact" is going to fight alongside you.
Quote:
Much like an Ally, a regular and frequent Contact strikes me as a potential Dependent; you aren't especially close but especially if its a Contact your enemies perceive as valuable to you (or simply one prone to getting himself into trouble), that's not something I just pulled out of thin air.
Sure. I think Contact/Dependent is as valid as Ally/Dependent.
Quote:
If we are really worried about simplicity... shouldn't Contacts just be hirelings?
No. You can definitely have this kind of relationship without paying the person for their services. If the NPC is only performing ordinary for-pay services and doesn't give the PC any privileged treatment at all, it's a waste of points to take it as a Contact (or Ally, or whatever).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote