View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #42
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Allies and Ally Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I'm of the opinion that designing a whole character for each contact would make them a pain for the GM.
I'm of the opinion that while this is true, if we held it as a standard we wouldn't be playing GURPS. ;-)*

Knowing when to draw the line is difficult; if the PC is giving up points for someone (or something) or it is going to be recurring, that seems like a good reason to flesh something or someone out and in this case, a Contact is both. For a large group of functionally identical Contacts, a Template (perhaps with a few lenses) would be useful. With the usual character building shortcuts, it shouldn't be overly constraining and if it is, you probably just need to forbid the Advantage like one would the myriad other Advantages that also involve a similar level of work.

*If the emoticon wasn't indication enough, let me clarify that this was said in playful jest and was not an attempt at a serious counterargument.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote