Thread: WARP Drive
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Default Re: WARP Drive

The question might better be placed in the general GURPS forum. Traveller uses only jump drives. There might be a player that wanted to substitute a warp drive in Traveller, but there are certainly some people in the GURPS forum that have used one, and might have useful observations.

Speaking of which, you could perhaps use the warp drive rules in GURPS Starships. That might call for rebuilding all the classic Traveller ships in Starships terms (which has probably been done :)).

Out of sheer laziness, I'd be inclined not to change the stats for the drive module (price, volume, etc).

How fast did you want your warp ships to go? The Traveller setting is fairly dependent on slow communication speed (usually 1-2 parsecs per week; no more than 6, and no more than 4 commonly available). I'd be loathe to use a faster drive, as that travel delay is the excuse for lots of things (anything from the Imperial neo-feudal structure to PCs being able to actually flee when need be).

What is it about the usual jump drive that you're trying to avoid? (I started wondering because as soon as I wrote the comment about speed, I realized there's not a whole heck of a lot of difference between a "warp drive" that travels at 2 pc/week and a "jump drive" that travels at 2 pc/week, other than the ability to change your mind and turn around in mid-flight. The lines connecting systems on the maps in Traveller are busier trade routes, not a fixed network of all valid jump paths.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote