View Single Post
Old 05-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #9
Kesendeja

Default Re: Magic as Powers (ala Shadowrun)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Shadowrun attack spells are line of sight attacks usually, so they are just as accurate at 10 miles as they are ten yards, which is really difficult to model in GURPS. They are also comparable in power to firearms and, in the case of the best mages (Hestaby), can destroy main battle tanks and cripple cruisers. That is generally why I consider Shadowrun to be a gritty supers setting and would build starting PCs with 500 CP.

For example, a starting Mage is capable of astrally projecting for 5 hours, is undetectable be mundane creatures and machines, can see astrally projecting creatures, in capable of moving 5,000 mph during astral projection, and can manifest on the physical plain to cast their spells without any penalty. That alone is worth a buttload of points in GURPS and that is without including their sorcery and conjuration. Augmentation can make characters that can cripple APCs with their barehands four times per turn (and they are not extra attacks, these are extra actions, as they can be used for anything).
I agree with the Gritty Supers assessment after having to build several characters in it (including one dragon).