View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 11:33 PM   #4
apoc527

Default Re: [High-Tech, Ultra-Tech] Targeting systems questions

Yea, you've found a lot of stuff that I've been struggling with.

I've got the aiming modifiers pretty much all figured out--that issue of Pyramid is super handy for that. Basically, HUDs + targeting software give bonuses to SKILL, not Acc. The rangefinding bonus is something that's up in the air for me. I am currently not enthralled with it, and just ignore it, but I think what I would eventually like to do is have it reduce range penalties beyond a certain point (like "if total range penalties are greater than or equal to -10, the rangefinding bonus applies and reduces this penalty by 3").

The low magnification of the ETS and CTS are dealt with in that Pyramid (basically, they can go anywhere from x2 to x32 or higher pretty trivially).

Laser detectors are good if for no other reason than giving you +1 to Dodge against all weapons that use laser sights. I would also note that you can't get the rangefinding bonus WITHOUT pinging the target with a laser or radar, so maybe that's a balancing mechanism.

I defer to UT for Homing weapon skills. Your understanding of how you fire them is the same as mine. Roll for lock-on, if you succeed, you get the Acc in addition to the skill, and they don't suffer range penalties, so they are very, very likely to hit.

There are currently no clear rules on dumbfiring those types of weapons--however, I'd just treat them as normal ranged attacks with the listed Acc (usually not high).

Homing and guided weapons don't come up enough in my games yet to justify worrying too much about them, but the rest of this HAS come up quite a bit, hence my more confident rulings for my games.

What kind of game are you running where this will come up? THS? Something Mass Effect-y?

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote