View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 12:49 AM   #48
Tomsdad

Default Re: Balanced games for archers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post

Oh yeah, I really need to make NPCs with shields, too! Good point.

I'm really bad at low tech GURPS: I've used GURPS for more than 10 years, but it was almost exclusively 1930s, modern day, and near fututre... which means guns, with only the occasional fist fight every now and then. I really don't know what I'm doing with melee weapons and shields and stuff :)
what are you thinking off here, stuff like reach tactics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabdul View Post
They are indeed quite conservative about keeping their active defense options and stuff like that... but I don't imagine they fight particularly defensively. They're just careful.

Yes, that I'm doing already. I think I just need to be better at (1) environment design (I need to offer covers, interrupted sight lines, elevation changes, etc.) and (2) designing NPCs (I need more varied weapons, I need shields, I need incendiary arrows and other more original gear, etc... and I need to make them use more advanced tactics).

That I'm doing too. NPCs will All-Out Defense when it makes sense, regroup, flank, and roll against Will every now and then to figure out if they want to flee or otherwise change their attitude towards the situation (that roll is modified for the usual mental disadvantages, relative group sizes, etc.).

Thanks to everyone so far, this is super helpful!

Sounds like you're already well on your way, one thing about shields they can be very useful in melee, but they also pretty damn good against arrows! (I do a lot of shield walls in my campaign)

One thing about shield and keeping to 0 encumbrance. Shields can be quite heavy. Although in a post apoc setting you might have some material options to help here. (of course the DB of shields to dodge* more than compensates for any encumbrance penalty they might inflict)

*I have my own house rule for this, varies DB by defence type and limits the bonus by relative shield skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Hey Dad!

. . . I'm still not ready to join the Dark Side.
You sure, we have great healthcare... just look at me
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote