Thread: GURPS Uplift
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #63
Magehound

Default Re: GURPS Uplift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
I don't know if it's canonical, but in either the Alliance for Progress website or Contacting Aliens (don't remember which...), it's said that Retired patrons have taken to visiting the Tandu as annoying and nosy visitors. And the Tandu, under the stress, have snapped a few times and killed several.
I just pulled down my copy of Contacting Aliens, and I think the visitor killing is something taken to a logical end by A4P, as Contacting doesn't mention it specifically, but it does have this: "Ideally, you should not converse with a Tandu without witnesses -or at all. They sometimes bite impulsively, and justify it later." -pp. 121. So they might have snapped and killed a few visitors (or just gotten hungry, "..they prefer to dismember live game, and have been known to do this to members of sapient species"), but then they claimed self-defense or something later.

Quote:
The Galactic Institutes have threatened fines several times, but have backed down when the Tandu have made it known that they're not going to pay.
The Tandu are under appeal from the Institutes (Uplift and Library mainly), but it mainly looks like it's because they won't reveal their files on their clients. In regards to other sophonts, it just seems that common sense is to just steer clear of them, because they're nervous in general, as xenophobic as they are.

On the Acceptors, just looking at the pic of them in CA, they seem to have a really thick exoskeleton (as compared, for example to how thick a Tandu exoskeleton looks), so they might have been a fallow species with a very high pain threshold to begin with, and only become more armored and insensitive over time -if you keep in mind the Tandu trait to just randomly bite now, I'm sure they were terrors as pre-sapients. So Acceptors might still recognize noxious stimuli, just not really be affected by it, hence the use of nerve whips to even get their attention, but they don't seem to be overly bothered.
Magehound is offline   Reply With Quote