View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 06:13 AM   #65
Celjabba

Default Re: Skill Advancement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
All this discussion about throttling super high skill/attribute levels brings to mind perhaps a difference in the GURPS world vs many other fantasy roleplaying games. The concept of zero to near-God is likely harder and to be honest in some cases that is a plus for me. I want to flatten both ends of the curve a bit and GURPS helps me do that. Still I think one of the fundamental things about RPGs that people like is the sense of advancement.

In my own mind, I keep wanting to create a table with levels that says -- at this level I expect PCs to have this many character points and this range of attack/defense skills. Naturally fighting types are better and other types would be lower but still within a range. This would help with building enemies etc... Such a table could be given to the players. Hey, I'm not forcing you to do anything but here are some guidelines and effectiveness that I may use when building encounters and setting difficulty.

So I'm not sure on the 67 point characters but I keep thinking 120 is a nice starting amount and then do 20 points per "level" afterwards. So at the end of the campaign you are at 500 which would be the equivalent of 20th level. Monsters will perhaps fight and defend with skills equivalent to Attribute + Level on average.
It obviously depend on each GM, but for me Gurps is not a game where a player can come and sit at a table with a character he made on his own.
Creating a character, and upgrading it, is a collaborative task between the player and the GM, balancing the player wishes and the setting constraint.

So, for me, most of the woes reported in this thread cannot happen, because a character cannot have broadsword-40, unless I as GM said I was ok with it, in which case I better be ready to balance the game around it.

If I feel that in a certain game a character shouldn't have more than DX-14 and broadsword-18, that will be the limit in that game.
And maybe in another game I will allow Broadsword-30 and DX-20.
And in either case, I would allow going slightly over the max, with a suitable UB, but not much, and not for cheap.

Likewise, coming from the other side, each characters in a high-point game are expected to be able to handle a minimum level of opposition on their own.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote