View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 10:45 AM   #6
timm meyers

Default Re: IQ gain and free talents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Part of the challenge with restoring the 'talents for each IQ increase' is that now you are incentivizing early IQ increases in addition to the benefit from maximizing starting IQ. If you put your first 200 XP into IQ, for example, you could pick up a two-point talent like NATURALIST (normally 1000 XP) at an 80% discount.
The system mod I am looking at is a 500 xp gain to be used for talents/spells for each IQ earned. So in your example Naturalist is a 2 pt talent and would require a 1000pt xp expenditure as RAW. If you gained an IQ for 200xp you receive the 500xp bonus with it and could choose to learn naturalist by spending an additional 500xp so the formula would be 200 (for the IQ) + 500xp more = a 30% discount.
Still a savings but I think it balances more with the innate bonus that you get for raising ST or DX as both attributes give you bonuses to hit points and speed/accuracy immediately.

The main reason to raise IQ is for access to higher abilities.

So the opposite side of the RAW equation is that beyond your starting IQ level any ability you wish to learn does not cost 500xp per level but a % greater based on "when" you up your IQ. So if you gained 1 IQ from lvl9 to lvl10 at a cost of 200xp in order to be able to learn Naturalist at 1000xp you have now paid 20% more for the talent. If the IQ raise was later, and cost 500xp, your cost was a 50% increase and ramps up significantly to thousands % points.

I am struggling with the fact that the RAW seems to incentivize bloated IQ starting characters and from my roleplaying narrative I see characters growing in knowledge more natural than increasing their muscle mass by 50%+.
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote