View Single Post
Old 10-14-2022, 02:11 PM   #19
Refplace

Default Re: [MH] Using Alternative Abilities for Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Not if you allow anything. This one is actually approaching that fair case - ATR and Extra Attack actually [do] overlap in function, in that they both permit you to do extra things in your turn. Now try it with a different 100 point advantage, say Jumper, and Extra Attack 3 and tell me how you're 72 points worse off for the combination.
Yes, that is a far better example. I see your point and in some campaigns I might not allow alternative abilities, or narrow the scope. But like you also said in a setting with magic it helps keep powers competitive, hence how Sorcery and Divine Favor were built the way they are.

However it also helps make powers competitive with technology where the player just pays cash for abilities.
I have used alternative abilities a lot and the point break allows a lot more versatility on a given budget but those drawbacks do tend to come up. Also it lets powers builds have the versatility on a lower budget where a higher budget to allow that versatility can cause other problems such as high attributes and skill levels.
So definitely a matter of taste and campaign goals.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote