View Single Post
Old 10-14-2022, 01:38 PM   #16
JulianLW

Default Re: [MH] Using Alternative Abilities for Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Not if you allow anything. This one is actually approaching that fair case - ATR and Extra Attack actually [do] overlap in function, in that they both permit you to do extra things in your turn. Now try it with a different 100 point advantage, say Jumper, and Extra Attack 3 and tell me how you're 72 points worse off for the combination.
I'm not proposing using Jumper and Extra Attack 3 as Alternatives. However, if they share the same power modifier - like Sorcery -15%, for example - then obviously the guy who is using Sorcery is going to (maybe) be more powerful than the guy who pays full price for both traits. You could also put all those points into Accounting skill, though. There is such a thing as building a better character - and I do think that's part of the game.

However, the guy who pays full points for Jumper and Extra Attack 3? He can make 4 attacks in one turn and then Jump at -10 (similar to the Blink function of Warp) as a defense. So, yeah. Even in this case, the guy who pays full price for both powers arguably has a really huge advantage over the guy who takes them as alternative abilities.

EDIT: Imagine two supers. One has Warp and Extra Attack 3 at full price. The other has Warp and Extra Attack 3 as alternative abilities. The first super easily moves to the center of a group of 4 goons, smacks each one in turn, then Warps away before they can attack him. The second super is going to have to defend against 4 goons or not fight them.

Last edited by JulianLW; 10-14-2022 at 01:43 PM.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote