View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #263
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

This is from a fact sheet I gave to my players in my most recent campaign. I tried to make them run a sweepstake on the winner of the next sector championship, but it went over like a lead baloon.

Boloball

Boloball is a very popular (pseudo-) anti-grav ballgame. The field is a wire cage 10 m high, 10 m wide, and 30 m long. Each team has 9 men: two low rovers, two high rovers, two leftsiders, two rightsiders, and a swot. The cage is inside a zero-G field. The players wear grav belts that simulate different gravity fields for each of them. The swot is neutral and can hover anywhere and maintain any orientation. The rest are under 1/3rd G pseudo-gravity. The low rovers are aligned towards the bottom, the high rovers towards the top, and the left- and right-siders towards their respective sides. The players have "jet boots" so they can trigger jumps (The 'jets' are just holographic effects and it's the grav belt that does the jump). The ball is a hollow, 3 kg steel sphere the size of a grapefruit and the players wear magnetic gauntlets to help them catch it. There's a small circular goal in the center of each end wall and the object of the game is to put the ball through the opponents’ goal. At random intervals the G-orientations switch 180 degrees.

The Spinward Marches Interstellar Boloball League has 16 teams:

Code:
Name:                Quality:         Name:                Quality:
Edenelt Eagles           3            Pallique Pirates         4
Efate Elementals         5            Porozlo Pumas            3
Equus Mustangs           3            Regina Rockhawks         6
Fornice Freightereers    5            Rhylanor Razorbacks      6
Glisten Gladiators       5            Strouden Salamanders     5
Jewell Juggernauts       4            Trin Tyrranosaurs        6
Lunion Leopards          4            Vilis Vikings            4
Mora Merchanteers        6            Zivije Zebralions        3

Meta-game info: I resolve games thusly: Each team has a ‘quality’ rating that shows how good it is on an arbitrary scale; a rating of zero indicates a fairly decent second-rate team. When two teams play, they each roll one die and subtract 1. This indicates the number of goals the team scores. The dice used depend on how evenly matched the teams are: Evenly: both roll D8s. One step apart: Best team uses a D10, the other a D8. Two steps apart: Best team uses a D10, the other a D6. Three steps: Best team uses a D12, the other a D6. Four steps: Best team uses a D12, the other a D4. Five steps: Best team uses a D20, the other a D4. Six steps: Best team uses a D20, the other a D3.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote