Thread: Ideas for Yrth
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #48
Astromancer

Default Re: Ideas for Yrth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
I don't believe we thought of making Caithness similar to the Holy Roman Empire, but we definitely did think about Megalos. An active Caithness Civil War could weaken the nation to what Megalos might see as a golden opportunity for regaining lost ground.

To me, a key difference between the HRE and Caithness is that Caithness is rooted in one culture, whereas the HRE consisted of significantly different cultures.

Megalos, on the other hand, is an empire that absorbed different cultures (some non-human) and its founders purposely modeled it on memories of Earth's Imperial Rome.
By similar to the HRE I meant to say that you'd have a strong primary ruler (the King in Caithness and the Emperor in the HRE) and strong lords with little inclination to obey or respect the paramount ruler.

As always the independence of Caithness from Meglos is dependent on Caithness being strong. Especially as the Hosiptalers are nearby and brutal.

If you know about the Teutonic Order, an interesting horror game is set up. Long after the Baltic peasants converted to Christianity, the Teutonic Knights maintained their crusade. For several centuries the knights and their paying guests simply hunted the local peasants for sport. Killing hundreds of people each year for sport. As I said a horror game.

Have the Hospitalers conquer Caithness and decide to keep the war going for sport.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote