View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 11:33 PM   #35
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: Any GURPS stats for black holes, pulsars, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataPacRat View Post
Do you have more info on what he did wrong in there? (I'll admit that when I last read it, I was focused more on trying to extrapolate and fill-in Vegian society than on looking for physics exploits.)
He describes a 'free' ship being driven backward (relative to the viewpoint character) by a single driving jet, specifically said to be doing this against the full force of the main drive.

That's not how it works anyplace else in the Lensverse. A 'free' ship with thrusters going in opposite directions will move (not accelerate, just move) in the direction opposite the stronger thrust. Going free won't let a 1 newton thruster overcome the effect of a 10 newton thruster...except that it does in that one instance.

Now, a single tiny thruster could _stop_ a free ship, if the main drive was off. For that matter, so can a single atom of hydrogen. But if _Dauntless_ has it's main drive starkly flaring at its prodigious maximum of thrust, a little retrothruster in the bow will not overcome that, whether free or inert.

Again, except in this one instance.