View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 10:26 AM   #25
DataPacRat

Default Re: Any GURPS stats for black holes, pulsars, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Magnets are dipoles, and dipole fields follow an inverse cube law, once you get moderately far away from the source. Closer in, it's something more complicated—I forget the details, but I don't think it's a straightforward inverse square.
Does anyone here have any idea how far out the field changes to 1/r^3, or some other way to calculate the field strength at a given distance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
You don't say!
By the by, does anyone have a GURPS formula for dice of damage from a relativistic kinetic-energy weapon? That is, accelerating an object to a measurable fraction of the speed of light before it hits the target?

(Smith only lightly touches on the topic in Lensman, but it seems feasible to use STL thrusters to accelerate a 3-ton impactor up to speed, fire up a Bergenholm generator to place that missile in a 'free' state, and carry it fairly innocuously towards it target before dropping the Bergenholm field and letting those 3 tons regain its previous intrinsic velocity. I'm wondering how fast such an object would have to be to be able to break through the speedster's wall-shield.)
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."

Last edited by DataPacRat; 02-16-2020 at 10:37 AM.
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote