View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 03:22 AM   #18
Tomsdad

Default Re: Predicting opponent's movements to attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Yes. There are a lot of ideas for extra, limited DX. That may be good stuff for some character concepts out there, but is it what the OP is looking for? The concept is a precog who can "break through foes' defenses", but a boost to DX doesn't do anything to defeat defenses, unless it's put specifically to some use such as Deceptive Attack. (A boost to DX does let the precog better hit a non-defending, unaware, or even completely immobile foe, which makes no sense for an ability intended to "break through foes' defenses".)

The question is interesting as "predict the foe" is relevant to more than just psi-type precogs. There's this in Animal Handling skill: "If you have Animal Handling at level 15, an animal’s attack and defense rolls are at -1 against you, because you can predict its behavior. At skill 20, the animal’s rolls are at -2." I've groused about this before: just as in the precog example, the TH mod makes no sense. (I'm completely unaware, defenseless, or even completely immobile; why do animals find it hard to hit me?) But the idea that the animal's defenses against you are lower, as you can predict its defenses, sounds fine to me.

So. Is there a way to take this defense-defeating predictive ability from Animal Handling, or an even better method if someone has it, and extend that to the OP's precog? And to any other cases where it'd make sense? Is there already something in Powers that lowers foes' defenses like this?
I think the OP was looking for bonus to both attack and defence

If I was doing this to just limiting active defences I guess I would try and Cost DX "limited to just deceptive attacks" and the power mod

FWIW I think I agree with you re animal handling, maybe a better way to do it is the animal doesn't get a penalty to hit, but you get a bonus to defend?

(cost-wise it's really just a freebie off the skill cost, so it's a bit odd anyway)

As an aside does Dungeon Fantasy have an equivalent of the old Rangers & Dwarves preferred enemy bonus from AD&D?

I guess in some campaigns in setting experience in fighting a particular foe type could justify an advantage that give you bonuses against them

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-16-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote