View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #17
John Brinegar

Default Re: Another Approach to Spell/Talent Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
That “times the number of talents spells you already have” does escalate the cost pretty fast. On the one hand, I like flat costs because they are easy to keep track of. On the other, being improbably multitalented should be hard to accomplish. Can we find a middle ground there? How about doubling the flat rate once you pass a fixed number of talents/spells we would consider “normal” for an adventurer (higher than an average citizen, lower than a reknowned hero).it would double again after passing a certain point where the character is hitting the level of “legendary”. I’d consider the Mouser legendary.

So, that would be:
Adventurer: 300 XP buys 1 Spell or 300 X Talent Level buys 1 Talent.
Notable: 600 XP buys 1 Spell or 600 X Talent Level buys 1 Talent.
Legend: 1200 XP buys 1 Spell or 1200 X Talent Level buys 1 Talent.

Assuming those figures just as a place to start, where would we put the cutoffs for the three categories?
What about making some of the more powerful talents only available to characters with a certain number of total attribute points (hence closer to being legendary types)? Does this have any merit, or is it needless complexity? Or has it already been suggested somewhere? I admit that I have lost track of all the branches of this discussion.

Last edited by John Brinegar; 07-16-2018 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Fix typo
John Brinegar is offline   Reply With Quote