View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 10:13 PM   #4
Plane

Default Re: Malediction with a max range

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVIT View Post
I'm building a teke using the system outlined in Psychic Powers. He has TK Grab and TK Crush, and I want to connect these so that he can only Crush someone if he has Grabbed them.

By analogy with the Accessibility (Only in altered body form) limitation I've applied Accessibility (Only in conjunction with TK Grab, -10%).
"requires grapple" is a -10% limitation in Powers: The Weird for stuff with Melee Attack

Given that you can substitute your TK lifting ability for your own encumbrance with something like Warp, doing the same with 'requires grapple' (ie "requires grapple with body" or "requires grapple with TK") could follow that precedent perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVIT View Post
But I want to give this guy the short-range version of TK Grab, which has a strict 20-yard range limit. By default, TK Crush has Malediction 3, which has what basically amounts to LOS range (long-distance modifiers plus the requirement of visual or other perceptual confirmation), but this new requirement that the target be within the reach of his Grab incidentally applies a strict max range limit on the Malediction.

I think that should count as its own limitation on top of the Accessibility, but it's proving surprisingly tricky to find an appropriate one.
I'd be inclined to borrow the "Range Limit" limitation math from warp (B99) -5% x (10 + penalty) and just float it to malediction penalties instead of warp ones.

If you had malediciton 1 (-1 per yard) then if you set your max range at 2 yards then -5% x 8 = -40%, or merely -5% if you set it at 9 yards.

It works best with that though, I think it might need repricing with malediction 2 or malediction 3.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote