Thread: Mega hex tiles
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 08:58 PM   #9
larsdangly

Default Re: Mega hex tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
... And there is something more in not only viewing it, but having a tactical game going on where your movement choices are vital to your fate, affecting outcomes in logical ways players can see on the table. Most players who haven't played TFT or GURPS haven't experienced that, and to me, that's the best thing about TFT, and why I haven't ever felt satisfied playing non-SJ RPGs (other designers' games don't have mapped tactical combat systems that feel right - combat in them is much more determined by what level you are, what spell you can cast or during-combat healing effect you can do, what magic items you have, and/or how enormous your pile of slowly-eroding hitpoints is).
Indeed. That sense of empowerment and critical decision making extends out of combat as well. The 'exploration' game is perhaps even more impacted by MH tiles: instead of saying 'I search the room' and the GM deciding whether or not to have you stumble across a trap, you are making your own specific choices about which hex you step into, how you are facing, etc., and the game map will decide your fate.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote