View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Shapeshifting Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky Meerkat View Post
The biggest problem I'm thinking is going to be there for this campaign is that while I want the shapeshifters to be a big part of the campaign, I don't want them to instantly become the "All the time bad guys". I don't want either of these happening:
  • Time for another adventure, who's the shapeshifter this week?
  • Oh a shapeshifter is involved in this plot? Well let's focus all our attention on him.

I don't mind either of those happening at first as I do want them to think the shapeshifters are important, but as soon as it is known that the shapeshifters are not the bad guys all the time there is the question of "Well then can I play one?" by the players.
Well, shapeshifters take the spotlight be proxy of what they are pretty fast. Either they have to be only touched upon (maybe once or twice making a shapeshifter an enemy), or make the specific race a largely known thing (which doesn't work in your setting).

As for players, you can always just say 'no' or 'maybe if we want to do another campaign another time'. To play devil's advocate, a player could always justify being a shapeshifter retroactively, such as by taking whatever traits one side has (as long as it's all mundane), subtract those from the character, and then buy the race using new points and the ones just gained.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote