View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GCA4 - Improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KataH View Post
Armin
Is it possible to do some improvements to GCA4 since GCA5 looks like it is at best a year or more off?
No, I'm afraid there is not.

One of the reasons I'm personally super frustrated about the long delay getting GCA5 done, is that I literally can't create new builds of GCA4. If I could, I would have continued releasing maintenance updates beyond the data only updates we've had the last few times.

And because the modern versions of the tools I have are significantly different from the old ones, there was a huge amount of rewriting that had to be done just to get any sort of baseline version of the old code working. I did that, and that was the basis for 5, onto which I then rewrote even more and added some new stuff. But, basically, there's no practical way I can update 4 as 4.

I am in the process (slowly, but proceeding) of tying off bits and pieces that aren't done, so that I can hopefully get some sort of build of 5 out before we lose yet another year on it. (The core application looks pretty solid, but it'll take a lot of hammering users to find the problems that are likely hiding inside.)

I really don't want to leave users without the new stuff any longer than I have to.