View Single Post
Old 05-31-2021, 04:55 PM   #26
Tymathee

Location: I'd rather be alone than be with people who make me feel alone.
Default Re: [DF] A Portal Fantasy within a Dungeon Fantasy: Where's Alice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Sadly this "GM Fiat can't ever be trusted" goes back to too many stories of DMs getting into them vs players.

Doesn't help that Dungeonland and Through the Magic Mirror have every native an insane kill happy lunatic. I have no idea where that comes from as at best only the Queen of Hearts and Jabberwocky are out to kill and even the Queen is mitigated by the King.

Just because they are insane doesn't mean they are all effectively Joker Jr.
It is sad. At some point as a player you have to be willing to believe that the GM has your best interests in mind within the scope of running a fair game.

Some of the inhabitants of these lands are somewhat saner than the rest... from the text of The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror on the encounter with T. Diumm and T. Deeous:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror
These identical twins are cunning despite their borderline intelligence. Being Lawful Neutral, they will adhere to the letter of any agreement they make, but they are not prone to being duped, as they have learned from experience—long, hard experience!
The Walrus and The Carpenter are sane enough to be reasoned with, but they're bent on duping the party of PCs into getting some pearls for them.

I do want to run the modules as Gygax intended, but I'm at least somewhat open to more social solutions if the PCs have enough ingenuity to deal with the wackos they're going to run into.

I've done some research on the Game Time modifier... with the numbers presented in the GURPS Power-Ups 4: Enhancements book, a character could have as much as roughly two uses of Ridiculous Luck per game time hour, which wasn't too far off from my guesstimate of what would be appropriate for DF. DF has a lot of what that supplement calls "slow time", so it may not be a stretch to just stick with the ratio I originally came up with. I actually like the Accessibility modifier I cooked up, but I shall consider my options.

Last edited by Tymathee; 05-31-2021 at 09:50 PM.
Tymathee is offline   Reply With Quote