View Single Post
Old 04-14-2021, 05:40 AM   #23
The Colonel

Default Re: Create Food and it's effect on infrastructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I actually didn't realize you were being sarcastic until you said that, I just assumed that was true, that certain places just had vastly easier access to food and other necessities.
Heh. I've been caught out by tone on this thing before ... initially I was thinking of the bad worldbuilding trope where creators place cities with no supporting infrastructure, but then decided that sometimes "a wizard did it" doesn't have to be an excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Exactly so. While they were certainly more the exception than the rule, in our world's real history some so-called complex hunter/gatherer societies existed, for instance along the North-Western coast of North America. And exactly for the reason you mention: abundant food available without agricultural cultivation. They developed societal stratification (GURPS: Status), which is often considered typical of agricultural civilizations, and had villages of up to 2,000 inhabitants - which is probably what an "Elven city" in a forest might have.

Now, naturally these indigenous peoples had no qualms about hunting and fishing, and that was a sizable part of their non-agricultural-based diet. I don't know about Elves, maybe some of them are vegans; but if they have bows, then I think they do hunt.
Yeah - always struck me as weird that the elves, often theoretically at least depicted as hunter-gatherers are also depicted as vegans (or at least vegetarians) whilst the Dwarves are seen eating legs of mutton and swilling beer ... despite an underground environment seeming to be a really bad place to grow animals.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote