View Single Post
Old 03-16-2021, 06:11 PM   #6
phiwum

Default Re: Death Spell - so how's it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
The Death Spell causes death, though, not just "dying, but not dead yet" so a physicker wouldn't be able to save them. They'd need to be Revived within an hour by spell or potion, and they'd lose 5 attributes in the process, at best.
A Revival spell can be cast within 24 hours. Very minor correction, but I happened to look it up today because of this thread, so I thought I'd show off my newfound and strictly temporary knowledge.

Quote:
I'm confident that it means current ST (ST minus wounds and fatigue). I agree with all of the rest of your post.
I'll totally buy that.

Quote:
No, it's a Death Spell, and as the rules say, the Goblin , and the gargoyle loses 6 ST (probably fatigue).
I lean towards wounds. He had a Death Spell cast on him, so he's more than tuckered. Of course, that means that a wizard casting a Death Spell on a weaker foe would suffer wounds, but I think that just sounds right for such a powerful spell. I could be convinced otherwise.

Quote:
What's unclear to me are two points:

1) What happens if the caster and subject have EQUAL ST remaining? In the original rules, it was clear they'd both lose all their ST, so in the old rules they'd both be dead. In the new rules, either they both just lose all their ST (which in the new rules mean they're both just unconscious), or they both die (which would match what happens with the original spell, and is more death-y, so I'd tend to rule that way).
Excellent question and I agree with your ruling.

Quote:
2) Is the ST "lost" by the stronger figure fatigue or damage? I'd say fatigue.
Wrong. Wrongity-wrongity-wrong.

Or not. Really don't feel firm on this one. But I like to think that casting or receiving a Death Spell hurts.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote