View Single Post
Old 03-16-2021, 05:31 PM   #4
Skarg

Default Re: Death Spell - so how's it work?

It doesn't seem that complicated to me, though I see a couple of unclear points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
... So what do you really charge the wizard who successfully uses it? If the target, the weaker opponent, was at ST 3, then according to RAW it should cost 3. But now, -3 ST wouldn't kill a target of ST 3, because ST 0 no longer means dead. So.... do you charge the caster 4 ST, and set the ST of the victim at -1?
I would do what the spell says. The weaker figure dies. The stronger one loses ST equal to the remaining ST of the other figure. It doesn't matter that's no longer the amount that would kill them, because it's the Death Spell, and that's what the spell does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
... A sticking point is the wording of the spell itself, which says "the weaker" of the two figures involved in a Death Spell dies. It doesn't say dies by how much though, which under the modern rules can make quite a difference when it comes to revival and resuscitation. In fact if the worst the Death Spell can do is leave the target at -1 ST, it's barely a "death" spell at all anymore. A Physicker will have them back on their feet in no time. (Physickers didn't even exist yet when the Death Spell was written!)
The Death Spell causes death, though, not just "dying, but not dead yet" so a physicker wouldn't be able to save them. They'd need to be Revived within an hour by spell or potion, and they'd lose 5 attributes in the process, at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Now, do you lose the persons ST attribute in points or do you lose ST minus wounds and fatigue? Usually, ST refers to the attribute. I could go either way on this one.
I'm confident that it means current ST (ST minus wounds and fatigue). I agree with all of the rest of your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
ST 6 Goblin cast Death spell on ST 20 Gargoyle.

The Goblin loses 6 Mana and the Gargoyle suffers 6 hits.
No, it's a Death Spell, and as the rules say, the Goblin
Quote:
immediately dies
, and the gargoyle loses 6 ST (probably fatigue).

What's unclear to me are two points:

1) What happens if the caster and subject have EQUAL ST remaining? In the original rules, it was clear they'd both lose all their ST, so in the old rules they'd both be dead. In the new rules, either they both just lose all their ST (which in the new rules mean they're both just unconscious), or they both die (which would match what happens with the original spell, and is more death-y, so I'd tend to rule that way).

2) Is the ST "lost" by the stronger figure fatigue or damage? I'd say fatigue.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote