View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 06:15 AM   #10
zot

Default Re: Contests, Opposed Rolls, and Tasks -- Feedback, Please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
That would be one solution but would involve more dice rolling. The way I dealt with it was to compare the two Attributes to arrive at a required success score.

Situation 1. Fighter A, DEX10 v Fighter B, DEX10. The opponents are evenly matched so it's reasonable to make the assumption that each is equally likely to win. And that's what the rules allow; each has a 50% chance to hit. That's seems logical and fair.

Situation 2. Fighter A, DEX10 v Fighter C, DEX14. Fighter A still has a 50% chance to hit, but the more skilled Fighter C has a 90% chance to hit. That seems a bit less reasonable but perhaps acceptable.

Situation 3. Fighter C, DEX14 v Fighter D, DEX14. Each has a 90% chance to hit each other. This is where things have become silly. Are we to believe that the more skilled a warrior becomes the more inept his defence becomes?

It's obvious looking at these examples that in a contest Attributes should be compared in some way and not absolute.

What I did was create a table where equal attributes were at 50% success (10 on 3d6). A one point difference was +1 for attacker, a two point difference was -1 for defender, etc. So in Situation 2 above where there is a 4 point difference, Fighter A would be at 8 DEX (-2) and Fighter C would be at 12 DEX (+2).

I suppose there might be problems in larger combats with multiple engagements and I can't claim to have playtested it thoroughly but it seems to make logical sense.

Apologies for hijacking the thread!
No problem.

You could just use my system for that, using the difference as the flat modifier for the character with the higher attribute. That would come out to the correct percentages automatically without requiring a table.

Situation 1: no modifiers and they have a good chance of blocking each other

Situation 2: 2nd character has a +4 modifier so the 1st character rolls 4 dice (one extra die) and adjusts their roll by +1, giving the 1st character a much better chance of winning the exchange

Situation 3: no modifiers and they have a good chance of blocking each other because they're close in DX. This departs from TFT's normal "DX 14 can almost always hit" situation
zot is offline   Reply With Quote