View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Default Re: GURPS Fantasy Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorGeneral

I'd like to hear peoples high and low points about GURPS Fantasy. What do you like about it? Or dislike? What sticks out - good or bad - in your mind?

I'm also curious about the magic system (since I only thus far have the characters book). In the basic system, do magic users spend points and buy each spell seperately?
Is Fantasy a must-have? Not literally. Not like Magic is you if want to do a campaign where standard magic (or Alchemy) is a significant element.

Will you get your money's worth out of it eventually? Yes, there are a lot of handy little things like vehicle stats and siege weapons. It goes up to TL4 too.

Drawbacks? Low incidence of immediately useful crunchy bits. Lots of theory and literary discussion but not much rules material. The Character templates are too low-powered to give you a lot and the sample setting is uninteresting IMHO.

Not the first thing I'd put on my acquisitions list. If you're curious about magic and usually do fantasy settings, Gurps Magic probably would be. Maybe Banestorm after that but that's not really a "usual" sort of fantasy world. It does have better Templates though.

Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote