View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
Brandy

Default Re: GURPS Fantasy Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorGeneral
New to GURPS, haven't actually played (well, maybe once in the 80s).

I'd like to hear peoples high and low points about GURPS Fantasy. What do you like about it? Or dislike? What sticks out - good or bad - in your mind?

I'm also curious about the magic system (since I only thus far have the characters book). In the basic system, do magic users spend points and buy each spell seperately?

Thanks in advance!
GURPS Fantasy is a must have. It is an invaluable tool to anyone who wants to think with any depth about the specifics of their fantasy setting.

The notes in there about places and settings, as well as the introductory material about the different kinds of fantasy gaming are my favorite sections.

The Magic System is presented in Characters pretty much as it appears in Magic, but Magic has many, many more spells. Mages spend 1 point per spell to learn a spell, but may buy up higher skill levels if they desire.

The best thing about the GURPS Magic system as it is presented in Magic is that it has a lot of spells, so it can be used for a lot of differnt types of magic. Unfortunately, the mechanics of magic as presented represent a very specific view of how magic should operate, and while the system is quite playable, it may not fit your specific desires for a fantasy magic system.

There are a number of other approaches you could take, some of which don't even involve buying Magic, but instead investing in Powers. The Powers approach would be very daunting for someone new to GURPS.