View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 01:51 AM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: How should i run monsters?

For the most part statting monsters out like characters in full is a waste of time at best.

Monsters do need all the usual attributes, because otherwise they can't really interact with the system and things could get very confusing. And where reasonably convenient it's preferable to describe their traits in the same terms as used for characters for clarity and compatibility. But point values definitely don't matter! And if you've got some nasty weird trait in mind that you could maybe build out of a hideous composite of modified Advantages and Disadvantages...yeah, better to just say what it does instead of torturing the system to 'stat it out'.

Also, you can likely get away with entirely ignoring traits that are irrelevant to the monster's game role. (Likely to include most non-combat skills and traits, for a typical 'monster' that's in the scene to be fought.)

(Unless, of course, the monsters are going to wind up being used as Allies, Enemies, or PC races, in which case suddenly they really do need to be done up properly. Probably not a problem for a one-shot.)