View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #7
Koningkrush

Default Re: Rapid Strike Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
If he were a swordsman (Broadsword-14, Shield-14) instead of a boxer, he could make four rapid strikes: sword-14, kick-12, sword-10, kick-8. Possibly he can replace the kicks with shield bashes; your system is unclear.

If he were a fire elemental with a 3d burning aura, he's going to throw alternating punches and kicks for as long as possible, even sacrificing strike damage to do so, because the aura does the damage not the punch.

There's no disincentive to not throw at least two attacks, because everyone has enough rapid strike points to so (even a second attack with a maul is only 4 RSP), and the first attack has no penalty and the second attack has only a minor penalty. And it's not clear how this system works with All-Out (Double) or Extra Attack.
I handled the broadsword issue by halving the points available, meaning people with weapons can't attack nearly as fast as someone who is unarmed. You did bring up an issue though with combining weapon strikes with unarmed strikes, causing a big confusion with point cost. I think I might remove the point divisor and just increase cost of weapon use.

Also, to attack twice with a Maul without using other options to increase your Points, you would need 20 Strength and 20 Dexterity to pull it off. Half points would give you 5, and maul attack is 1, then 4, which equals 5. Normally someone could attack twice with a maul with much easier ability in GURPS rules by taking the -6, but I have a hard time visualizing this actually happening in one second. Spinning wildly in circles while holding the maul at the end perhaps?

As far as the fire elemental goes, I would do the same thing I did for limiting damage boosts. The damage boost only applies to your actual first attack (or two if using All-Out Attack Double), but not to the additional attacks gained by spending the points.

Also, just because I say realistic, doesn't mean it's not fiction. Imagine some kind of hyper fast+strong alien that can annihilate you with multiple hits in one turn just because of its Strength and Dexterity. The reason I tried to put this together is because Rapid Strike seems like something that would be limited more by physical limits rather than skill. This seems to be a prevalent issue throughout GURPS (jumping especially).

Last edited by Koningkrush; 10-14-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Koningkrush is offline   Reply With Quote