View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #22
whswhs

Default Re: New here and new to GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
First of all, character points are an accounting device for PCs only. Thus, it is totally pointless to worry about character point totals unless it's for a PC or an NPC that falls under their "Ally", "Enemy", or similar advantages and disadvantages. Remembering this will save you huge amounts of work. Just note down whatever traits you think are appropriate, and leave it at that.
Many people say that, but I don't find it true. When I design NPCs, I do a full point-based build on major NPCs; for example, in one recent campaign, several pirate leaders, and the queen of a magical island realm and the sleeping mortal king she was guarding, among others. It helps me to think through what I want the NPCs to be like. I would encourage a new GM to try out doing a point build on a major NPC or two, and see if it enhances their creativity or hinders it. There are people who work both ways. And the build process will also provide the new GM with invaluable experience in character creation than can then be offered to players new to the system.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote