View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 04:41 AM   #5
Gudiomen

Default Re: HELP!!! Im a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grom View Post
When I create an NPC, what stats do I need at hand for quick access (I.E. combat etc)
Stat the attributes, no need to worry how much they cost, just what's believable. Secondary attributes (Per, Will, HP) only need to be written down if you have any reason for them to be different from primary attributes.
If the NPC has any important advantages or disadvantages, write their names down.
Write down the most relevante skills and their level (doesn't matter the relative level or the points).
Either write down the DR, or have a clear picture of what they're wearing (in your head) so you can deliberate.
Write down the damage with their weapon of coice.

For instance:

Thug
ST 12 DX10 IQ9 HT11
Low-Pain Threshold
Blood-lust
Brawling-12 (parry 8, 1d-1cr)
Knife-11 (parry 8, 1d+1 cut)
Intimidation-12
wears furs and leathers of DR1 except where exposed
dodge: 8

And you're golden for some combat stats. For social NPCs focus on social advantages, disadvantages and skills.

For generic NPCs make 1-3 versions and just re-use the stats, varying things like advantages every now and then, but mostly just re-use to infinity. Once you get the hang of it, you can just improvise on the go.

p.s.: be careful with advantages and sometimes disadvantages, they make for distinct NPCs, in the example above if you repeat the Low-Pain Threshold, you'll give your players the impression that thugs in the setting are a genetic modified super-soldier that doesn't feel pain. One remarkable individual every now and then is fine. Advantages like "Fit" are pretty common, but others like Ambidexterity, Low-Pain Threshold, Night Vision are quite odd. Same goes for social, most people don't have Charisma, they compensate with skill and dedication.

Last edited by Gudiomen; 09-15-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote