View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 08:31 PM   #3
phiwum

Default Re: My tweaks to the Bola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
The bola is more compact and not bulky compared to the lariet or net. It still requires time to unravel and spin it up. So, it has less new limitations than the others.

Also, I was trying to limit or clarify which targets can be entangled. With Lasso and Whip it requires ST compared to the target since he would need to be pulled off balance. With the Net it has to do with the size of the spread out net could really only effectively entangle 1 hex creatures. Therefore, I will go with the same 1 hex limitation as the net.

The one thing I noticed about a bola's flight is that it really spreads out. This will make it a tough weapon to use in crowds. So, it gets an additional limitation when it comes to rolling to miss.

These are the changes to the Bola:

BOLA:
- takes a turn to prepare when readying the weapon, regardless of Thrown Weapons skill.
- entanglement is only effective against creatures that are 1 hex in size or smaller.
- you may not roll to miss. If there is a figure or obstacle that would normally require someone throwing to roll to miss, you may not roll to miss.
- when throwing down a seam between hexes, the bola would travel through both hexes instead of miss both. If both are occupied, randomly determine which may be hit first.
I think these are all sensible. I probably wouldn't bother with the roll-to-miss changes, just because it's an added complication.

I *like* the rule that it takes a turn to ready. I won't implement that rule in the current game I'm playing, since that would seriously nerf an existing player character, but it makes sense in future games.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote