View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 12:12 PM   #5
sgtcallistan

Default Re: Best objets d'art found in adventures?

In our fantasy campaign, the cosmology include the forces of Destiny, Fate and Luck as personified, not Gods, but definitely Involved Forces.

So, when it came time to reduce a long-established and successful island of pirates in the Neva river, the infiltration phase included an attack on the Pirate King's stash.

Some gold, a few jewels, numerous quality weapons, and at the bottom among the bric-a-brac, a dirty-grey ivory piece carved like a wolf, his head and tail up as if howling.

Since the Grey Wolf is the chooser of paths, and the Pirates had a choice of sides of the island to attack passing ships, I kept it, thinking I'd broken the Pirate's run of 'luck'.

They were finished that day. Since then, PC and pals have gained enormously, but mine is visited by a wolf (eyes as big as millstones!) who seems to stick his head into the room from another dimension, who asks 'So which way? Die today or die tomorrow?'

So far it's always been 'Die tomorrow'.

Feels like the Chinese proverb: 'Who rides the Tiger's back should take care not to fall off'.
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote