View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 02:56 PM   #13
Skarg

Default Re: Thrown spells using missile weapon drange adjustments

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
... Good point. And I'm not trying to remove opportunities for cleverness, but wouldn't a greater thrown spell range also add new opportunities to do clever and interesting things? Clever people are always going to be clever. And yes, lazy people are always going to be lazy.
Sincerely not trying to be a wiseacre here, but these ideas sound kinda fun to me.
Now these ranges are the outer limit, since it's a 40 point (non-goblin!) wizard optimized for casting megahex sleep. I'm thinking I want something between #2 and #3, maybe -1 DX per megahex range.

Maybe this is part of a different (foreign?) magic system, that's just better at thrown spells.
Sure, and definitely, yes, it could be very fun/interesting/different to play in such a game, AS a wizard using easy long-range thrown spells on others, and figuring out wicked clever things to do to others.

It would also be very scary and paranoia-inducing to have to worry about other wizards doing such things to yourself and/or people you care about, and figuring out how to deal with that possibility.

It might not be so fun to be a non-wizard who can get victimized easily with little chance of warning, resistance, or avoiding getting hit with spells that can really mess you up from range and/or concealment. But if the intention is to explore what these wizards can do, that wouldn't be as much of an issue.

GM'ing the game trying to take into account the power dynamics of the world might be a bit tricky though. What would security precautions and the tactics of the powers and thugs of the game world be like if magic worked this way?

One scenario that comes to mind could be a world with very civilized wizards almost all of whom are for law and order and the greater good, well-behaved and/or very rare... and the PCs are responsible for tracking down rogue wizards causing mischief. How do you catch a wizard who can silently and without gesturing cast thrown spells at range?

Oh, and when calculating what you think capabilities can be like, don't forget about the Aid spell (Aid DX), and possible Attribute-adding items and potions or even wishes. Also consider that if a wizard can avoid being detected while casting, they may be able to afford to try multiple times until they succeed.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote