View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 12:42 AM   #11
Acolyte

Default Re: Heb Rhoneniel

Jim Davies was surprised by the knocking on his boat's hull. Heaven's Lion was a popular whale-watching craft, but at this time of night? Only after he checked the empty pier did he realize the sound came from the waterline.

"Yes?" called the Saint of Animals.

"Permission to come aboard?"

Reasoning that an assaulting demon would probably not have asked first, Jim assented, and when the dripping figure made it on board, he rushed forward and grabbed him a bear hug. "O'Neill! It's great to see you!"

The naked man hugged him back awkwardly, then rubbed his temples. "Please."

Jim grinned. "Sorry. Heb Rhoneniel, I am glad to see that you are well. I have missed your company."

"Thank you. My life without you is less...fun?" The Seraph pondered for a moment. "Yes. Less fun."

"Glad to hear it." Jim clapped the angel on the back. "Would you like some clothes?"

Together they headed belowdecks. "I would not. But clothes are necessary to facilitate useful interaction with most humans."

Jim laughed again. "I thought you would be off the coast of Japan now, patrolling in case Foynzac was stirring up trouble." Jim fished out a serviceable outfit for his old friend.

"Others of the Most Holy are on patrol. My presence only serves to antagonize the Demon of Whaling." The Seraph showed a rare smile while putting his arms into the arms of a sweater. "But the Wild Many has sent me back."

"Wh--" Seeing the look on the Seraph's face, Jim nodded. "Divine Plan. Right. Well, you're welcome here as long as you like."

"Thank you. Is my recording equipment still--"

"Of course." Jim, resting against a bulkhead with one foot up to brace against the opposite wall (not that the ship rocked much in port, but old habits die hard), began to pack a pipe. "It really is great to see you, you know that?"

The Seraph reached out and touched his first human friend on the shoulder. "I do. I would like a smoke as well."

Together, they went up on deck and smoked, talking long into a night lit only by the dim embers of their pipes and the radiant skyline of San Francisco.