View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 10:05 AM   #5
Varyon

Default Re: Force Sword (and Blaster) Design - Assistance Requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I like the idea of color being a visual cue for the danger/intensity. I'm not sure I'd adjust speed, but dmg multiplier, armor divisor, and range tradeoffs seem good.
The speed increase makes long-range attacks more feasible - with a subsonic, highly-visible round, it's very difficult to hit anything capable of moving at a decent range without massed fire, and I want higher-spectrum blasters to largely be used as sniper rifles and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Making the sword based on thr damage seems like a good change. If nothing else it makes ST important.
Well, you have the option of thr or sw - the former does less damage but has a better armor divisor. While it's not stated, I intend for thr attacks to function like imp/pi when it comes to hit location interactions, while sw attacks would function more like cut. And yeah, I've liked the idea of ST mattering for force swords for some time now - I prefer instances in Star Wars where the weapons seem like swords rather than cut-through-anything-with-a-touch-deathsticks. The sequel trilogy has this to a limited extent (notably Kylo and Rey fight in the first movie, but to a lesser extent the preceeding fight between Kylo and Finn), but seems fairly prevalent in games (video games and PnP RPG's) for the franchise.