View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 01:19 PM   #17
RedMattis

Default Re: Fantastic Dungeon Grappling & Technical Grappling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxar View Post
I could see treating a Constriction Attack as two limbs even. Especially if you're coming from the GURPS angle where Constriction Attack loses some of its worth because anyone can spend CP for damage and Constriction Attack only lets you strangle without grabbing the neck.
Makes sense. I'll probably run for that for Nagas/Lamia.

I'm tempted to do something similar for an arachne/drider-like character, letting them buy a technique to use legs for grappling/assisting with grappling. Perhaps a Technique defaulting to <unarmed skill>-3 or something.

Technical Grappling had rules for leg-grappling, but Fantastic Dungeon Grappling is lacking something like that. I'd really like to see a bit of a comfortable in-between of the over-complicated Technical Grappling, and the rather bare-bones Dungeon Grappling.

Quote:
I think I'd really lean into KYOS' "twice as strong" comparisons, so a grab and go would let you move for your full move if your ST were by 3 or more greater, half move for 0-2, and a step if your victim had up to 3 more ST than you.
The question is what to do about using Lifting ST for normal contests. Since Lifting ST is now highly exponential it gets... weird.

I'm currently trying to decide between using Striking-ST for grappling instead (I already price it at 2/points level instead of 1/point level), or counting Lifting ST as `Lifting-ST*2 - 10`.

Both have pros and cons. Striking ST is simple, and makes the scaling less weird. It also makes it easier to make a KYOS Lifting-ST 25 creature wrestle believably by simply giving it a lot more Striking-ST than Lifting-ST. Could probably do Striking-ST (Wrestling only, -30%) or something too.

Lifting-ST keeps the idea of wrestling being more based around your "slow" strength though, while using Striking-ST essentially creatings 'Lifting-ST', 'Striking-ST', and 'Wrestling-ST' :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I figured part of why you gave that double-CP benefit to Constriction Attack was that Martial Arts kinda gave partial Constriction Attack privileges to muggles on MA117 under Bear Hugs. Instead of "strangles vs torsos, period" it's just "your torso strangles that anyone can try now work against your own SM instead of just lesser SM... and there's no -5 penalty like doing a one-handed strangle even when you're required to use two arms or two legs.
I'm not a wrestler/grapple myself, but isn't a choke-hold supposed to be rather difficult to do unless you're behind the person too, most techniques I've seen involve locking your arms around their neck from the back.

I don't mind Cinematic Martial artists (or Infinite's vampire who has super-strength) one-hand choking out someone, but they should probably pay for some sort of technique. Or at least require something like the Trained by Master advantage.

As it is there isn't really a reason to pick up stuff like the Constriction Attack. I mean, compared to just getting 4 levels of Wrestling it is a really really weak pick.