View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #13
GhengisRexx

Default Re: Virtual Table Tops (VTT) and automation: It's about choices, stupid!

I have to put in a plug for Roll20 here. It has been a great tool to bring back together my gaming group, (who are now scattered across the country).

While there is no automation, there are virtually no barriers to entry. It is free for my players, (I do pay $5 per month for some advanced features), and there is nothing to intstall (unless you don't already have Chrome). And while it is system agnostic, there are GURPS character sheets that work very well.

I wanted to try FG, but the price was a consideration, and given the chance that it might not work on one of my players disco era laptop, I couldn't justify the price.

Maptools seems terrific, and has tons of great features, but.... getting the modules right, and then learning how to use it bogged me down.

With Roll20 we have a vtt that is very close to our face to face experience. I still keep my books open on my desk, and on a tablet, but I can create great maps easily, and there a tons of tokens, both free and for sale for any kind of scenario. For a group that wants to test the waters of of online gaming, I can not reccomend the Roll20 VTT enough.
GhengisRexx is offline   Reply With Quote