View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 02:22 PM   #13
Michael Cule

Default Re: [BANESTORM]: What happens next in Megalos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
So in your setting it's moving to the year 2000? Is the current emperor in your world Diophrates XIII? I know not all of the emperors named Diophrates were descendants of the previous emperor.

If the Banestorm is still sometimes active in your Yrth, the year 2000 might be a good time for that bringing in something new. (In our Earth, we had the feared Y2K--which is in GURPS Y2K).

The church might, as you suggested, use the opportunity to gain more power--after all, Megalos was taken over by a demon! And that's especially because of the year 2000--there could easily be prophecies about that. Maybe an old prophecy could be interpreted retroactively to have "predicted" the demon emperor--and what should be done next.

And there's the possibility of dealing with Caithness in its civil war.

And al-Haz and al-Wazif might have found the former demonic emperor's slackness to be a good reason to do something about Megalos.
All good points.

I think the new Emperor would be anxious to establish that he isn't the demon or in any way related to him. (His actual father, who the demon replaced, wasn't a paragon of virtue either but at least he was human.) So I think he'll try keeping his birth name.

The Year Two Thousand is bound to produce a fresh outburst of Millenarianism on Ytarria: the Church may try to ride the wave of fear but may also find itself overwhelmed by populist movements.

But I would have to be very careful about introducing off world immigrants. I don't want to force them to do the work of the Ministry of Serendipity: they might well have scruples about mindwiping innocents caught up in the Banestorm.

If anything could unite the Sunni and Shi'ite wings of Ytarrian Islam it's the idea of a jihad against the demon worshipping infidels, I agree. I think that's something to threaten in the background... and then bring on as a series finale.

I don't want them getting involved in the affairs of Caithness, though. It's where their previous characters (the ones who killed the demon) came from and to whence they have returned. Sir Alisande de Lacey and friends are the Big Goddam Heroes of my campaign and would be knocking heads together if Civil War erupted.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote