View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #7
RafaelLVX

Default Re: Flags from Ytarria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Not that I know of.

Assuming that heraldic arms = national symbols (or at least the symbols of the ruler or ruling family) and that they are unchanged when used as heraldic banners, then the coats of arms shown on the map in GURPS Fantasy 1E are national symbols.

I'm not sure what fair use is regarding publishing images from books is, but the heraldic blazons are:

Zarak - Argent (White), a sledgehammer and miner's pick in saltire (i.e., crossed with the hammer facing to the right, the pick to the left) proper (i.e., in their natural colors - steel gray).

Caithness - Per Chevron (i.e., shield divided like ^), Vert (green) and Argent, two cranes statant in their vigilance respectant (i.e., standing facing each other, each with one leg raised holding a rock in its claw, in the upper part of the shield) Argent and a thistle couped proper (i.e., purple flower, green leaves, cut off just below the leaves).

Al-Haz - Azure (blue), a crescent fesswise sinister Or (i.e., gold crescent with its points facing to the right)

Al-Wazif - Gules (red), in pale (i.e., from top to bottom) a crescent fesswise sinister and an oil lamp Or (i.e., gold "Ali Baba" type oil lamp at the bottom)

Cardiel - Quarterly (i.e., divided into even quarters) Purpure (purple) and Ermine (white with black "ermine spots"), two crescents bendwise Argent (i.e., one crescent with the horns facing upwards on each of the two purple quarters of the shield).

Megalos - Or, a winged dragon passant sable (i.e., gold field, black dragon with wings walking across it head facing to the left).

Sahud - On a roundel Argent, a Chinese pine tree of three tiers proper. (i.e., white circle with a stylized Chinese pine on it.)

You can use these blazons with one of the online heraldry programs to get proper emblazons (i.e., pictures generated from the description).

Hope that helps, and despite my screen name, the first time in 20 years that I've actually used heraldry!
A shame I don't have that book anymore, but you were already very helpful. Thanks.
RafaelLVX is offline   Reply With Quote