View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 07:19 AM   #18
Varyon

Default Re: Combo Suggestions for point starved Witch wanting to be effective in melee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleable View Post
Thanks guys,
I might drop the sword and go to staff/spear. My thought is I can make an expandable cane into a staff, and probably a thin spear tip as well. I figure you could use a spear for parrying as well. And the spear should be impaling. If I get really good I can shoot for targeted attack (eye).
And since this is a modernish campaign, walking around with a cane sounds more reasonable than a sword.
If you're wanting a spear, check with your GM first. While I believe it's a common houserule that a spear wielded with Staff gets the +2 Parry, it's just that - a houserule, and one your GM may not agree with. A properly-designed cane should be able to function as a Short Staff/jo, which benefits from the +2 Parry. It's not quite as good as an iron-shod quarterstaff (it has less damage and is only Reach 1), but is a lot easier to justify carrying around in a modern setting. You'd generally be restricted to crushing damage (you might be able to convince the other witch to put a Conditional on your cane that allows it to transform its metal cap into something like a spearhead), but that's actually still pretty useful (swing-based crushing damage is often roughly comparable to thrust-based impaling damage in terms of Injury, it's just that the former isn't able to get an increased WM against the Vitals). Eye-shots are really more the domain of dedicated combatants - instead of spending [6] on Targeted Attack and then taking a -4/-5 (depending on if it's the eye or the eye slits that you're targeting) to hit, you may be better off spending (some of) that [6] to boost your combat skill and using the penalty to make it harder for the foe to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Defending against Guns is also surprisingly easy, with the right approach. A Lesser Destroy Matter effect that deactivates primers will often get naïve opponents to waste several turns trying to shoot, cycling the gun, and trying again before they give up.
An issue there is that you've got to actually affect your opponents but not your allies (assuming you have allies who use firearms, but I'm pretty certain that's the default for MH). That either calls for an Area Effect with exceptions for the hexes your allies occupy or Range plus probably Area Effect. The former potentially needs a lot of energy to reach all your enemies if they aren't very close to you, while the latter risks missing enemies that aren't in the targeted cluster. I'm also not certain how hex-based exceptions work when using Conditionals (including Charms) - is it alright to define this as "any hex occupied by Alice, Bob, and/or Charlie" or do you have to define a pattern relative to where the Conditional gets activated (in which case you've got to get your allies in the right formation). On the bright side, primers are so light you don't even need to bother accounting for Subject Weight.

That said, I'm not certain you're allowed to refine the effect enough to only work on primers with a Lesser Effect. Then again, a Lesser Effect is probably enough to refine it to "affects bullets only," and 1d internal damage (which you get for free) is probably enough to ruin most bullets (or at least get their Malf bad enough most firearms are highly likely to jam). Path of Energy is potentially even nastier - 1d internal burning damage is probably enough to set off most bullets, ruining the foe's loaded weapons and magazines and potentially harming the foe as well.

Last edited by Varyon; 07-21-2021 at 07:49 AM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote