View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 06:27 AM   #67
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Reducing the number of weapon skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
People who were highly skilled at multiple forms of combat were historically very rare (and are likely best modeled with higher levels of DX). Even a professional fighter would only have a few combat skills at 14, several at 12, and the rest at default. Since the majority of combatants throughout history were conscripts, levies, or militias, I doubt that they had more than one combat skill at 12, a couple at 10, and the rest at default.
Or the the high end had a talent that allowed them to pull off these feats.

Look at the 4e conversion of the historical people from GURPS Who's Who 1 and GURPS Who's Who 2 (so no "But i don't have the book" BS) and AFAIR not that even the "warrior rulers" reach the 5 skill mark.

For example, King David ben-Jesse is as 4 weapon skills: Bow, Shortsword, Sling, and Staff. Sure Sling in terms of point Sling is high but per the Goliath knockdown it is supposed to be high. Alexander the Great is in much the same mood and his skill points are more in the 1-4 point range

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I think putting shortsword and greatsword in one skill and knife in another is placing the break in the wrong place. I'd suggest something more like Short Blade (replacing Knife and Shortsword) and Long Blade (Covering Broadsword and Two-Handed Sword).
Shad (of Shadiversity) shows why this is a majorly bad idea.

The Swords page at GURPSwiki goes into that it is how the terms are used vs what they meant in real life. Fencing is more properly with a light sword with a maximum length of 43.3 in which by length would put it in the longsword lengthwise but trying to that type of fencing with an actual longsword would get you a serious case of dead.

As I pointed before (and people in support of this ignore) when you think about it the suggest skills are so close to Weapon Master (small to medium class) [30 to 35] that it isn't funny, And when mundane skills are better then cinematic advantages and are far cheaper something has clearly gone wrong.

Weapons Master is the three rail in all this because "You are familiar with – if not proficient in – every weapon within your class. This gives you an improved default: DX/Easy weapon skills default to DX-1, DX/Average ones to DX-2, and DX/Hard ones to DX-3." (B99):

*All muscle-powered weapons (45 points)
*A large class (such as all bladed or one-handed) of weapons. (40 points)
*A medium class (such as all swords) of weapons. (35 points)
*A small class (such as fencing weapons or knightly weapons), of weapons (30 points)
*Two weapons normally used together such as broadsword and shield or rapier and main-gauche. (25 points)
*One specific weapon. (20 points)

So we are basically being suggested three mundane skills each of shich is better then a cinematic advantage and is cheaper. How in the name of sanity does that make any degree of sense?!
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 09-07-2020 at 07:02 AM.