Old 09-05-2020, 09:43 PM   #46
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Reducing the number of wepon skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I suggest:

Melee Weapons: DX/H
Covers use of all melee weapons. Optional Speciality: any one weapon type.
Ranged Weapons: DX/VH
Covers use of all ranged weapons. Optional Speciality: any one weapon type.
Unarmed Combat: DX/VH
Covers unarmed combat. Optional Speciality: grappling, slams, striking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Honestly, I believe that would be worth a playtest! Things I'd change:
  • I'd make all three skills Very Hard. That's easier to remember and doesn't hint that the designer believes armed melee combat is simpler than other combat. (If anything should be easier, Ranged Weapons – which replaces Beam Weapons, Crossbow, Gunner, Guns, Liquid Projector, Thrown Weapon, and other DX/E skills – seems like the right choice.)

• I'd add strict, perk-governed familiarity with specific weapons – not merely types. Without the perk, you'd fight at -2 to skill. So you'd see people with Melee Weapons (DX/VH) and a couple of perks like "Weapon Familiarity (Long Axe)" and "Weapon Familiarity (Small Knife)," or with Melee Weapons (One-Handed Swords) (DX/H) and a couple of perks like "Weapon Familiarity (Rapier)" and "Weapon Familiarity (Large Knife)."

• I'd add a "Skill Modifier" stat to weapons that works much like the "Parry" stat, but that gives a bonus to attack, feint, etc. with simpler weapons. For instance, most knives might get +2 or even +3 (so they're effectively Easy), weapons commonly given to levies and recruits (notably spears) would get +1 or +2, most weapons commonly used by professional warriors would get +1, but swords would get 0 for requiring so much study to master, while flails and other weirdness would get 0 for being ungainly.
IMHO the skills are a little too broad. Contrast these with the following wildcard skills:
*Bow!
*Sword!
*Whip!

It comes off as trying to have wildcard skills without having actual wildcard skills. More over if mundane skills are broader than wildcards skills then that is clear sign something is wonked.

Also when you think about it these skills are so close to Weapon Master (small to medium class) [30 to 35] that it isn't funny, And when mundane drivel cinematic advantages and are far cheaper something has clearly gone wrong.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.

Last edited by maximara; 09-05-2020 at 09:56 PM.