View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 11:03 PM   #45
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Reducing the number of wepon skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
TThere's a lot more in common with using a spear one handed and two handed than there is in using a knife and a one-handed flail, so if you're lumping a lot of skills together already, one-handed vs two-handed really isn't a good divider.
The main divide that makes probably the most sense to me is 'balanced' versus 'unbalanced'. It's not perfect but the stance and movement differences seem most different along that divide. Mind, Shield and Cloak are bizarre but seem fine to throw in balanced (which does sort of make it the superior skill...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Don't forget, there are DX/H ranged skills - Blowpipe, Sling, and Net. Taking from the above idea, however, we could make the Ranged skill DX/H, with the majority of weapons (thrown weapons, guns, beam weapons, etc) at +1, the tougher ones (like bows and atlatls) at +0, and the really hard ones (like slings) at -1.
There are, but just giving them a further penalty to use (like how Kromm gave a bonus for easy weapons) seems fine. Not to say it's perfectly realistic, but ranged combat is probably the hardest skill due to all the penalties and giving it a slight boost seems to help.