View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 01:15 PM   #32
tshiggins

Default Re: Cinematic Rocket Delta-V Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Well, maybe after you've made the irrational (but trope-necessary) decison to have crews of organic beings.

I consider artifiical gravity but another trope necessary thing, It's all small potatoes after you've swallowed FTL and non-geriactric realspace propulsion.

I disagree about blink-warp though. I try and visualize how a blink-warp ship interacts with the normal universe and it's all gibberish.
Yeah, you've said that in the past.

Some sort of worm-hole drive or jump-gate system probably makes more sense, from the standpoint of what we currently understand about physics.

The thing is, RPGs are more about telling stories than modeling reality, and worm-hole drives or jump-gates really eliminate a lot of fun plot options.

You don't have to travel through much space with a jump-drive, and since every single jump-gate is a travel bottleneck, easily controlled, then space piracy can never really be a thing.

I don't think those make for desirable trade-offs.

As for the OPs original thoughts (to drag this, kicking and screaming, back on topic), I think an Epstein Drive would fit the bill, but would introduce the WMD kinetic-kill issue that could glitch the setting in ways both large and small.
A pseudo-velocity drive such as a stutter-warp with no super-luminal threshold, combined with a need to discharge coils for a day, for every couple thousand or so light-seconds traveled, would do the trick.

Last edited by tshiggins; 12-30-2020 at 01:25 PM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote