View Single Post
Old 10-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #9
Stormcrow

Default Re: Passive intimidation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
Oh, and as per the title, what about passive intimidation? Say Conan opens the door to a tavern; how would I emulate his mere presence’s effect? Then, imagine he were 50% bigger (SM1), would that just be a mere +1 to the roll?
"Passive intimidation" is just a general reaction roll. If you want to randomly determine how the tavern-goers react as a group, make a single roll for all of them. I'd use the SM-difference modifier in addition to whatever normal modifiers would apply, but probably nothing else if Conan is otherwise behaving as a normal person walking into a tavern. On a Very Good or higher, or Bad or lower, the crowd would hush dramatically, the former representing people impressed, the latter representing people intimidated.

(To be clear, I probably wouldn't roll a group reaction just on walking into a tavern. If Conan walks into a tavern, business continues as usual. If Conan plops himself down next to another customer and starts up a conversation, I'd roll an individual reaction roll, and the appropriate modifiers would depend on which tack Conan takes.)
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote