View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
hal

Default Re: Enchantment only Spells

A quickie answer to the question posed, and I'll head out to work ;)

GURPS MAGIC as initially set up, has the following structure:

Spells:
Each spell, partitioned into separate colleges, produces an immediate effect upon casting. Few spells fall into the category of "Enchantment" only.

Enchantments:
Not ALL spells have the ability to produce an enchantment version of the spell in question. If you look carefully, you will note, that there are more than a handful of spells where you can cast an instant effect type spell, but not be able to produce and "enchantment" version of said spell.

Study of spells:
GURPS MAGIC specifically states that in order to learn a spell, the spell caster must be able to cast said spell. In other words, a spell requring magery 2 for instance, could not be studied by a mage without magery 2. If a mage had magery 1, and Lunar magery that would up his magery relative to the phases of the moon, could study a Magery 2 spell because he can cast it while he has an effective magery 2 overall.

As a consequence of the above, having a one college magery "Enchantments College" would result in the mage never being able to cast ANY spells unless in a mana high location, and only if the spells do not require magery 1+ as prerequisites.

So, utilizing the rules strictly as written, the answer appears to be no. Note however, that the above only applies if you're using the rules as written ;)

Personally? I've always wondered why mages can't undertake the study of the spell "ENCHANT" if they are expert practioners of the fire college spells (ie 10+ spells from the college of fire), thaumaturgy 16+ (ie expert level), AND magery 2+. However, as a GM, I've also concluded that there is nothing to stop the GM (me!) from including a new spell in the game, or the players in my campaigns from asking "Can I invent an enchant spell, that is Fire College based?". I think I would permit it to happen in my campaign world.

COLUMBIA GAMES has a magic system that has but 6 colleges, 7 if you include GREY MAGIC as a college. How would one simulate that kind of game universe using GURPS MAGIC rules? ;)

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote