View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 10:13 PM   #54
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] Caribbean by Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Me? Or Danny? The real Danny Daniels lives nestled up in a Rocky Mountain valley (Uintah Basin), though to the south is desert. Look up the I grew up in that valley, went to school in a different part of the Rockies, and recently (after I wrote that tag) moved from the Rockies to the Southern Appalachians. Which are a different sort of mountain, but I won't go so far as some friends from back home and label them hills.
Ah, ok.

I've found a lot of information about Southern and African-American root work, conjure, hoodoo and various Afro-Caribbean traditions, some sources on Appalachian and Ozark 'granny magic', but I don't know anything about any equivalents in the Rocky Mountains.

If Danny Daniels is wise to the occult and as likely to use concepts from ancestors on both sides, what does he call magic-workers?

For that matter, in a more general sense, what magical traditions are there in the US, other than what I have mentioned?

Is there an equivalent body of old wives tales and superstitions to granny magic and rootwork in the Rockies, on the Great Plains, in average Midwestern towns?

It seems like even in sources on American mythology and magical traditions, most everything between the two coasts is either lumped into one of several cultural ranges, the redneckland of the South, hillbilly country of the Appalachians and Ozarks or the various frozen wastes of the North, where legends are Native American, Finnish or Scandinavian, or it gets treated as Flyover Country, with no legends or native magical traditions.

Last edited by Icelander; 01-07-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote