View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 12:54 AM   #29
Icelander

Default 'Hippie' Names That Continued into the 1980s and 1990s

Addressing an entirely different thing in my campaign, I'm looking for names for some characters born around the mid-80s and later. Some of them, at least, will have been born to parents who were, in their younger years, hippies or at least people who were exposed to hippy culture, influenced by it and grew up listening to the music.

Like, say, a child born in 1985 to parents who were academics at UC Berkeley and who had belonged to, like, all the hippy-dippy sub-cultures who wanted the Age of Aquarius to endure through disco and Reagan.

I'm familiar with a number of hilarious hippy names, but mostly these tend to be associated with children born in the 60s and early 70s, not ones born to aging hippies, who must surely have found new fashions in literature, music and, therefore, popular names. Surely, for example, LOTR names were not en vogue, even among UC Berkeley academics, in Reagan's second term?

I need the character to be ashamed of his name and for it to be extremely idealistic, but guaranteed to make a child suffer merciless teasing.

What were trending pop culture things at UC Berkeley in the 80s that might have convinced aging hippies to name their child after them?